Thursday, August 30, 2012

Book Review: The Lucky One.

Earlier this week, I read The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. I had started it about a month or so ago, put it down, then brought it on the plane to Chicago. I read the plane ride there and back, and another night or two to get it finished up. I love to read, but that's usually the first thing to go when I get really busy. Once I get into a book though, I stay up half the night reading, unable to put it down.

This was a good, quick read, and a nice romance. I like Nicholas Sparks novels because they are romantic but not in a totally annoying, cheesy kind of way. I haven't seen the movie, and don't know if I will. Usually, books top movies every time for me. I did like both versions of The Notebook, but that's the exception to the rule.

I am in a very elitist book club (elitist in the fact that we are the only two in it, and we are snobs about what we read) with my bestie where we send each other books we know we'll love, but rarely discuss them other than the obligatory "yes, exactly, you know me SO WELL to send that book my way. xo."

Side note - Props, bestie, for sending me this book. Yes, exactly, you know me SO WELL to send that book my way. xo.

See what I mean?

I can't decide what to read next. The Harry Potter books are staring at me (I know, I'm years and years behind), and I've managed to stay away from the movies, wanting to read the books first. I've made it through the first three, but the last ones intimidate me with their gigantic size. They're a maybe.

I'm also toying with reading the Hunger Games series or 50 Shades of Grey. But I'm just not sure about those two. Generally, I like to stay away from the books everyone is screaming at you to read (see snobby book reader reference above), and besides, my book club buddy has yet to pre-read these to make sure I'll like them.

Decisions, decisions. Luckily, I've got a stack of Southern Living and Parents magazines that I haven't gotten around to that will keep me company until I decide.

Do you like to read? Are you a member of an elitist book club? What books are on your must read list?

2 comments:

  1. I avoided Harry Potter and Hunger Games and surprisingly loved them both! Reading "Unbroken" - WWII story, right now with my book club and although long it is excellent so far! Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought something light to read at Wal-Mart this weekend, then Harry Potter might be my fall/winter reading. A WWII story sounds good, too!

    ReplyDelete