Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Vampires, Hogwarts, and other trendalicious items.

When it comes to trends, you could say I don't exactly jump out on the cutting edge - or you could consider being totally honest and say that I am lightyears behind. I usually like to wallflower around for a bit until the hype dies down, and then make a decision from there. Here are a few trends I'm going to throw my two cents in on (with apologies to the grammar police for the sentence ending in GASP! double prepositions):

Twilight: Read it. Loved it. The movies are OK, but nowhere near as great as the books.

True Blood: Tried it. Did not love it. Maybe I need to give it another chance? I like a lot of HBO shows, but I just couldn't get into this one.

Harry Potter: Once I figured out that there is no secret language in these books (yep, I'm a total idiot, and all the Potter kids are throwing things at the computer now), I started reading them. I really loved the books, but after the third one I found out I was carrying a little bun in the oven, at which time all reading was restricted solely to pregnancy and baby reading, with the occasional trashy celeb magazine thrown in for good measure (and to keep up the notion that I am "in the know," of course.) SO, I have not seen the movies, as I refuse to watch anything that I want to read, since the book is nearly always a billion-zillion-kajillion times better than what the silver screen comes up with (excepting specifically The Notebook, which I adored in both forums). That said, I still have plans to someday read the HP series, and then of course see the movies. Maybe. Someday.

Glee: Still watching the first season. So far, so good, but obviously this does not qualify me for gleek status. Le sigh.

Lady Gaga: Trend of all trends. At first I did not get it. I still don't completely get it. But, I must admit that she is growing on me, and I can't help but attempt to sing along/make ridiculous "ohh laa blah blah Gaga" sounds when Bad Romance comes on.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure we can be friends anymore if you don't become a gleek. I'm serious.
    AND as a former glee-esc kid yourself (and by that I mean that you're a fab singer, not that you're a loser), you should be ashamed.

    ReplyDelete