Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The future's so bright, ya gotta wear shades.

We have been making some preparations and planning to start saving for Delaney's future (i.e. The college education that we'll need to pay for. You know, before the fabulous wedding to the total handsome prince. Yikes.) But I digress.

One of the questions asked of us is what school we want to plan for. WOAH. While I realize this is for planning purposes and not at all like we're signing some contract to send her somewhere in 18 years, I still suddenly see us driving away from her new dorm room and me melting down in the car (wonder if my mom did that?)

What dreams do I have for Delaney? Before she was born (or even conceived), Andrew and I would talk about what things she would do, if she would be smart like mommy, or athletic like daddy (we're still hoping for a perfect combo of both). Would she play softball? volleyball? dance? be a Future Problem Solver? Yes, that's a real thing, and I was one. Booyah.

As she grows though, it seems to matter less what things she'll do and what hobbies she'll have. It's more fun to watch her develop her own personality. For the record, her fascination with kicking things and running over to them only to kick them again seems to foreshadow a lot of time at the soccer fields.

What is important to me is to instill in Delaney a love and respect for her family, to foster her Christian faith, and to teach her the morals, values, and traditions that mean so much to our family. So whether she is artistic or athletic; goes to Belmont, MTSU, or somewhere across the country, she can take the things we've taught her with her on her life journey. I can't wait to see where life takes her.

No comments:

Post a Comment