Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Save the drama for your mama.

Delaney sure does. She is a sweet, affectionate, loving girl, but she definitely has her toddler moments (although, to be fair, its too soon to tell if these will fade with age or she is going to be a drama queen like her mother).
Just as the BabyCenter know-it-all's will tell you, Delaney throws more fits for mommy than daddy. They are very short-lived, and I patted myself on the back this week when reading BabyCenter's email and finding that we already are handling tantrums the "appropriate way." End shameless self-appreciation of basic parenting skills here. Most of the outbursts stem from her not being able to communicate to us quickly enough (for her taste, anyway). I can understand why this is annoying. I mean, how would you feel if you needed someone to come to your aid during a major playtime crisis, and everyone was just standing around talking about how cute your pigtails are? Immensely cute, by the way.
She is also repeating any and everything she hears, the most recent of which is the word "now." What used to be a simple command (like "Up") has become "Up Now." Still said in a sweet little voice with a sweet little smile, but I haven't quite figured out how to nip that in the bud yet. I think she is so proud of herself for using a new word that she doesn't realize she's being a bit on the rude side. It is hard to distinguish while she's otherwise so adorable.
But, all in all, I don't mind bearing the brunt of the attitude. After all, I usually get a smothering of hugs and smoochies afterwards, and that's just fine by me.

1 comment:

  1. Gav hasn't started this phase yet. He gets cranky with me often, but just a few full on fits thus far and they have been resolved in less than a minute when I give him zero attention during them. Apparently girls are quite the handful when it comes to this whole stage. When you figure out how to "nip this in the bud" get back to me because I will be here with Linley in just over a year.

    ReplyDelete