Friday, December 14, 2012

Mary, did you know?

The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. - Luke 1:35
 
Now that I am a mom, Mary's part of the Christmas story really speaks to me. How did she feel when the angel came to her and told her what was going to happen? How did she feel about telling her boyfriend what God was calling her to do? I can only imagine she was scared, nervous, even terrified about what was to happen. But what faith! She stayed faithful to God, waiting. Waiting through what I'm sure was a long pregnancy, through a hard trip to Bethlehem, and through Jesus' entire life as she raised Him only to have Him leave her too soon.
 
I am not a patient waiter. I worry, fuss, complain, and fret over things during the wait. I pray always, and truly want God's will, but the waiting sure is the hardest part. Through waiting my faith is always stregthened, and I am again reminded that the Lord I am waiting on has been there the entire time, holding out until the perfect timing for what I am wanting "right now." I have to believe that Mary had a few of these same thoughts.
 
 
Advent is all about waiting. Waiting for the birth of Jesus, waiting for the anticipation of the Christmas celebration. I hope as you are waiting for Christmas this year, you steal a few moments of quiet time to reflect on Jesus and the cause of all the celebration. What a miracle. I thank God for Mary and her faithfulness. 

2 comments: