Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Diapering Debate: The Decision to Go Cloth.

I have always known I wanted to be a mom. And I guess, if I had thought about, I also planned on using disposable diapers. No one uses cloth anymore, right?

Enter Fabulous Husband, who has read that cloth diapered kids potty train faster. After I got over the initial shock of there being a baby-related decision I had not yet considered (gasp!) I decided that this was indeed interesting. Thus starts my tireless research into the subject. Then we compare the costs of cloth vs. disposable diapering. Oh my stars! How could we not at least try out cloth?

As it turns out, cloth diapers have come a pretty long way. True, the use is still a, shall we say, less than enjoyable sidebar of parenting, but the days of tying and pins are out the window. Unless you wanted to do it that way I guess. Count me out, please.

My research led me to about a million different brands, but we decided on GroBaby, a line of all-in-ones (meaning they grow with baby) that have snap in liners you change as needed, and a shell that is changed twice a day. That doesn't sound like rocket science, right?

And yes, we are washing them ourselves. A little extra laundry never hurt anyone (dusting and cooking, however - that has been known to kill people!) And no, our entire house is not going to smell like baby pee all the time (just an FYI for those afraid to visit after said baby pee arrives). That's why there are grand inventions such as tea tree oil for the diaper pail, and Febreze for the air. Voila!

Last, but not least - how stinkin' cute are these things? I can only imagine how much cuter they will be on my baby's little tush!


1 comment:

  1. I toyed with the idea of using cloth, but we decided that for us, it just wasn't the best choice for now. The moms that I know that do cloth diapers love love love them though! I know many moms who use Fuzzi Bunz. There are for sure many pros to using cloth diapers that can not be matched by disposable diapers, and yes, they are way cuter than disposables!

    ReplyDelete