Thursday, December 2, 2010

Perspective.

Sometimes, I get a little stressed. My Type-A self is slowly mellowing with age - and the fact that I live with a {grown} boy, 4 animals, and a tiny person who somehow has more stuff than all the rest of us combined. But I still have some ideals of perfection. Like trying to be a perfect mom. Wife. Housekeeper. Friend. Daughter.

{Although, to be fair, I am consistently a pretty awesome daughter - are you reading this, mom?}

And the list goes on and on. Sometimes I am pretty successful and feel great about it. But other times, I feel like I am slacking at everything. The house gets messy, I don't have enough time/energy/patience, and I get overwhelmed.

Am I the only one? I think not, but that could be wishful thinking.

But then, there are nights like tonight. Where my daughter and I dance around to Nsync Christmas, and I get her laughing and smiling so big it makes my heart swell. Then my hubs comes in and we all play on the floor together, her sort of rolling around between us. Now Delaney is fast asleep, and I'm drinking hot chocolate plus a splash of peppermint schnapps, blogging, and watching my Thursday night TV shows.

Productivity is important, but these are the things that matter most. Family, fun, and time to make memories.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I want to be super mom, the hot and "cool" wife that my husband loves and other look to as to what their wives should be like, while at all the same time keeping our house looking fab, being a great friend to everyone and having spare time for myself. HA HA HA is all I have to say about all of this. I am still lucky if I get to shower each day at this point. People look to me like being a stay at home mom gives me more time for all of these things too.. not so much now. In the future, yes, but not at this point at all. It's a struggle to balance it all and try to do it all.

    You are absolutely correct though. If at the end of the day you are playing with your baby and husband and can not help but have a smile from ear to ear, even with a mess staring at you in the background and spit up on your shirt, I think the day should be considered an accomplishment. We can get around to the rest of it all in a few years or so :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, welcome to the story of my (and every other moms) life. Let's be honest, by the time I get laundry put away, the next weeks laundry is upon us. I do dishes every few days at best and my house is in a constent state of OMG I NEED TO CLEAN THIS MESS.
    But, I have a healthy perfect girl that gets story time every night. I've gotten good at remembering what clothes are in what pile on the floor... and I've accepted that I'll never have a home that looks like the magazines.
    I think you're doing the best you can and thebest for your girl. That is what matters. Hang in there, it does get easier. xoxo

    ReplyDelete